Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Street Art In Cultural Context?

C215. Port Au Prince, Haiti. April 2013. (photo © C215)
C215. Port Au Prince, Haiti. April 2013. (photo © C215)
C215. Port Au Prince, Haiti. April 2013. (photo © C215)
This beautiful street art was done in Haiti by C215 a young woman Aude Hulot, came to visit C215 in Paris and during her visit asked him to come to Haiti to paint portaits in the streets of Port au Prince she mentioned that she was part of a local arts association, Kasav and their goal is to promote urban art in the city perhaps eventually to create a festival that attracts street artist to there city. C215 was interested in learning about the dramatic living situation of people in Port au Prince, and see what has happened in three years since the earthquake. He came with a whole collection of Carribean portraits , a few hummingbirds and tropical flowers, so that the local people could appreciate my art with local subjects. They all understood that way that I was painting was a clear tribute to their culture. I found this all interesting in a way because both of my parents are Haitian also I went to Haiti back when I was little and I saw all of this only I had no idea what it meant till now which is amazing its beautiful how much of the culture it captures in paint and expresses so much the Earthquake, slavery and hope. Shows how strong the culture and the people are and invites everyone to come see and share thoughts and opinions even have more artist come and provide even more artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment